Sunday, November 20, 2011

Derek Jeter

I know I know I just did a blog about the Yankees and now I am writing an entry about Derek Sanderson Jeter? I kind of feel like they should go together. I guess I just feel like I need to explain to you my love for him because it's NOT just because he is handsome. If that were the case I would also talk about Alex Rodriguez which you will NOT happen! I told you before I became a fan in 1996 during the World Series but after I saw him on the cover of Kids Sports Illustrated I really began to love him. I bought the magazine and every other magazine I saw with him on the cover. He would talk about his parents in every article. He would say that he couldn't talk about himself without talking about them. He also said that he would watch the Yankee games with his Wella (Grandma). How flippin cute was that. Well that's what made me fall for him. I love my parents. They aren't perfect in any way but I love them and to hear someone have so much love and respect for their parents kills me. Then I read his autobiography when it came out and that sealed it. At that point I became a fan of his parents too. They were so encouraging and supportive. I mean at 8 years old he went into their bedroom and told them he wanted to play shortstop for the Yankees and they didn't tell him he was stupid or that it would never happen. They were probably tired from working all day and just wanted to go to sleep but they sat him down and talked to him about his dream and what he would have to do to achieve it. He did work hard and had to sacrafice a lot but he accomplished his dream. I admire him so much for that. I have dreams and goals but I don't have focus and determination. I need to believe. His career shows me that dreams do come true. So when he hit his 3,000 th hit I was crying along with his family. I pray he continues to have a great career and I will continue to watch as I strive for my own dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment